Wednesday, February 6, 2013

WIP Wednesday # 18

Wow.  What a start to the new year.  If 2012 went out like a lamb, 2013 has come in like a lion.  Lots of stress, angst, responsibilities, new friendship, fiber, group agendas (and did I mention responsibility?) -- so far it has been a roller-coaster.

Last week, I was voted in as President of the Memphis Knitting Guild and R is the new Social Media Coordinator.  We're excited about the changes we can bring to the Guild and I hope the membership will be open enough to embrace them this year.  So far, so good.  :)

April will bring about the first Gathering of the Guilds (of the West Tennessee area).  We are all getting together for a meet and greet.  Hopefully we will be able to work out a social event between guilds for the fall.  Unfortunately the Gathering takes place the same weekend as Stitches South so we cancelled our plans to attend and registered for the Gathering.  If you live within driving distance of Jackson, TN and are a member of a Guild -- join us!

On to the knitting :)....

So last month I undertook a massive Knitting organization and cleanup for the stash, tools, and pattern library.  I am still working on completing some of those tasks but the work is coming along nicely.  I frogged a couple of WIPs that were started, literally, years ago and now I am down to a crochet afghan, a knitted scarf, and a pair of knit socks.

The afghan is a long-term project.  It is a duplicate of my previous Alaskan Nights throw for my in-laws and need not be finished until November...  


I'm on row 5.  If I learned anything from Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's lessons I would be worried... But I guess they were just too entertaining to be instructional.  :)







The scarf is a simple foray into Entrelac knitting:

They are being worked in Noro's Silk Garden : Colorway 252...  I am really enjoying the yarn.  I had heard mixed things about Noro's Silk Garden but in my opinion -- despite the vegetative matter -- it is a beautiful yarn with a nice hand and a wonderful drape.  I can't wait to finish this WIP.







[Image from the KP pattern.]

Finally, the sock pattern I am working came from Knit Picks.  It is my first true pair of socks.  I have made baby socks/booties, but this is the first adult sized pair.  It is the free Boot Socks pattern from KP, knit in KP's Swish Worsted Marble Heather for the MC and in their Wool of the Andes Worsted Fedora for the CC for extra durability in the heel, toe, and cuff.  The pattern is plain enough to be manly in the right colors, endlessly modifiable, and (best of all) it was free.  You might think endless knit rows in grey and brown would be boring, but it is worsted weight after all so the progress is fast and this is my first ever 2 socks on 2 circulars project so I have that to keep me entertained!

*** Hint: These would make a GREAT Christmas present for any man in your life.




As for reading, well, I have had little time for reading for so long now that I cannot remember what I last read.  I have, however, been listening to a great deal of books.  At the moment, I am revisiting a favorite from years ago -- Thunderhead by Douglas Child and Lincoln Preston.




There are also lots of WIPs from Christmas to reveal in the coming weeks so check back next week for Ta-Da! Tuesday!


What are you working on?
Happy Knitting Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment